As a backend software engineer at Plex, you will help people find movies and shows that they love. Plex will allow people to discover and enjoy media from all of their streaming services and personal libraries in one place. The Discovery team empowers users to browse and discover media quickly and find movies, shows, and trailers that feel relevant to them.
What you'll do
- You will help new and returning users find and discover the content they love.
- You will be responsible for designing, building and deploying services that provide the best experience for catalog browsing, content discovery, search and personalization.
- You will collaborate closely with product owners and designers to explore new ways of surfacing and promoting relevant and interesting content.
- You will work closely with our team of client engineers who are focused on building engaging experiences using the content discovery services.
- You will partner with other engineers from our cloud services teams to establish our backend standards and to integrate with our metadata and recommendations services.
What you bring to the table
- You have at least 3 years of relevant experience building large-scale backend services.
- You know how to write distributed, high-volume services in Node.js and TypeScript.
- You have experience with databases at scale and some experience with MongoDB in particular.
- Experience with Elasticsearch and optimizing search results is a plus.
- Experience with recommendation systems is a plus.
- You are familiar with engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- You care about code quality and are committed to writing strongly typed, well-tested code.
- You are detail-oriented and focus on delivering seamless, reliable experiences.
- You are kind, humble, helpful and get stuff done.
- You are self motivated and able to manage your time, working with a distributed team across the globe.
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall.
- You are hungry to have an impact, continuously working to improve our product, process and push the team to be its best.
Who we are
Plex is a global streaming media platform that gives millions of customers around the world the freedom to enjoy all the content they love in one simple, beautiful app. Our vision is to empower real human connection by bringing people and entertainment together. So, we’re on a mission to create a global community for streaming content that people can depend on to easily discover, experience, and share all of the entertainment that matters to them.
What sets us apart
- We are the largest independent streaming platform built by a global team of employees who are fanatically passionate about delivering the highest quality, most unified, and user-friendliest entertainment experience possible.
- We have always been a distributed organization, with people making great things happen in nearly 20 different countries and 11 time zones.
- We host epic in-person off-sites to bring team members together a few times a year.
- We are passionate about our mission and we work hard, while still providing flexibility around a schedule that works for you.
- We love what we’re building and our user community is an integral part of our development process. We actively engage with customers to understand what is working, what they want more of, and how we can be better.
- We are committed to improving the communities where we live and work with charitable contributions, partnerships, and service.
The Plex Values
- Be kind, humble, and helpful.
- Approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- Put yourself on the customer’s couch.
- Be a good steward. Like a boss!
- Build relationships to ensure healthy debate.
- Foster a global and diverse team spirit.
- Show gratitude and give back.
- Seek balance for yourself and Plex.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Hardware stipend
- Flextime, work from anywhere
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical/dental/vision) (US employees)
- Stock options
- 401k (US employees)
- Plex for the Planet community service opportunities
Sound interesting? We're looking for a software engineer who is ready to join us to have a material impact in Plex's growth and success.
Plex is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.